Wednesday 19 September 2012

Play Time Mk2



With the new improved house all sorted we could concentrate on the things that we like doing.
IE playing with the Degus and not spending all our time and money on them (sorry girls!).
With the demise of the double decker cage I had an idea on how to use the left over bits to create a decent play area outside of the cage.
We already had a rabbit play pen for when the other apple of my better half's eye comes inside.
The problem with the rabbit playpen is that the Degus would be able to slip through the bars as the mesh isn't fine enough.

In order to cure this I cut up the Thickets cage to get sheets of mesh.




I then attached this to the lower section of the run.



I then tied cardboard above this so that it was slippery and they wouldn't be able to climb any higher.
This was then secured to the cage by eye hooks and we could happily let the girls out to play.






As mentioned previously the ladder is great, but Degus aren't as tough as they would like to believe, so as you can see in these two pictures we kept a cushion under the ladder in case they knocked each other off.


Exploring.



This also meant we finally had room to use the Lazy Susan wheel I made.
It has taken them some time to grasp what this actually is (Clue - NOT FOOD!!!) and they are still learning to use it effectively.
I hope to post a video of it in action someday.
When they stop eating it.


Surveying the surroundings.



The very reason it is 150mm wide!



Practice honestly does make, er... potential to be perfect.


This was funny.
I can't remember when it was but we did have a hot day this summer.
We had to shut the lounge doors to let them out and it was warm without the airflow.
As it was Sunday and I was rewarding myself for a good job done (on something...) I got myself an ice cold beer from the fridge to have whilst I watched them play.
Being nosey as they are they were curious about the can when I set it down outside the run and as I hadn't opened it I thought I would humour them and placed it in the cage.
Due to the condensation on the can and it being so cold, they loved it and spent the next couple of minutes (until I retrieved it!) rubbing up against the can and licking the moisture off.

Silly Goos.






No comments:

Post a Comment